It has been confirmed...I am obsessed with muffins! I love making them and unfortunately for my thighs, I like eating them too, lol! But the good thing with muffins is that if your weight and health are of concern, you can make them with healthier options! So don't throw those muffin tins out just yet because you're dieting or trying to eat clean...check out this healthier recipe for cranberry nut muffins; one of my all time favorites!
I used to buy cranberry nut muffins, baked fresh, from my favorite grocery store...Wegman's. (Who else loves Wegman's?!?) But, like a year or so ago, they stopped making that particular kind. Ugh, the devastation was real. Well, I decided to look into recipes to make my own. But if I were going to make my own, I was also going to make them healthy too! That is the best part in making your own; you know exactly what is in them! I tried a few variations before I finally got it right! Crab your apron and let's get started!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
- zest of orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (I used organic)
- 2 cups fresh/raw cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Put fresh/raw cranberries in a saucepan, along with the brown sugar and orange juice. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until berries become soft and sugar is dissolved. Set Aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Add in the dry ingredients, walnuts and cranberries, whisk together until well blended.
- Pour into muffin tin, filling each only 3/4 full.
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until they have risen and browned on top a little.
- Let cool and enjoy!
|These are great for a quick breakfast, a snack, or even as a dessert!|